Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gerry Rafferty 1947 - 2011

I was dozing off in bed last night and Rob was listening to the news on the radio. All of a sudden the familiar saxophone from Baker Street was playing. It could only mean one thing. I knew that he had health problems due to heavy drinking, but his death was still a shock. I expect a lot of us in the blogging world will be writing about him today. His songs were so romantic and beautiful.

In the early 80s I was driving through London with a boyfriend and as we turned into Baker Street, the song of the same name started playing on the radio – what a conincedence! Having said that I thought I’d post my very favourite; Home and Dry


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like his music. He has a beautiful voice and beautiful music.

Bill Y said...

i know the intro to baker Street but never really heard his stuff. I must take a listen

Rosemary said...

Baker Street STILL sends chills for me, but it's really the only piece I associate with him.

Anji said...

Connie: I find his songs sooo romantic.

Bill Y: You must be a lot younger than I thought you were!

DB: Do you mean the chills in a bad way or a good way?


Why not join us? ExposeYourBlog!

A Lady's Life said...

This was a nice song. I do not know of this singer though.

Rosemary said...

Ooooh, I'm mean chills in a VERY good way!!

I'm following you on ExposeYourBlog.

basketballgirl said...

hey you are good I like your style come check out me blog and if you like it follow it
http://juliet6.blogspot.com
it is called 6th grade phenomenon

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Anji,

Baker Street is one of my all time favourite songs.

It's a shame about Gerry Rafferty. Sadly, I haven't heard much else by him.

Cheers

PM

Anji said...

A lady's Life: If you enjoyed that one, you'll probably enjoy more.

DB: Yes, I have those too!

basketballgirl: Thanks for your comment, I'll check your blog out.

PM: I'm surprised at how many people never got further than Baker Street. Hope you enjoyed Home and Dry.



Why not join us? ExposeYourBlog!

Jeremy from We Took The Bait said...

I wonder if my wife knows...

I'll have to tell her.

We were married a few years ago, and one of the songs that she wanted to use for the dance with her father was Rafferty's "Right Down the Line."

Anji said...

Jeremy: That's a lovely story. I hope you had the kleenex with you when you broke the news.

Why not join us? ExposeYourBlog!