Friday, November 26, 2010

Books, books and more books

I found this on Dru’s blog. I have read more than 6 (pokes out tongue at BBC). There are even more on this list that I’d like to read…

”The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed here.

Instructions:
• Copy this list.
• Bold those books you’ve read in their entirety.
• Italicise the ones you started but didn’t finish or read only an excerpt.
• Tag other book nerds.”


Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
The Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
Harry Potter series – JK Rowling
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
The King James Bible
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
Nineteen Eighty Four (1984) – George Orwell
His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman
Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
Little Women – Louisa M Alcott
Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
Complete Works of Shakespeare
Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier
The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien
Birdsong – Sebastian Faulk
Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
Middlemarch – George Eliot
Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell
The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh
Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
Chronicles of Narnia – CS Lewis
Emma -Jane Austen
Persuasion – Jane Austen
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe – CS Lewis
The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis De Bernieres
Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
Winnie the Pooh – A.A. Milne
Animal Farm – George Orwell
The DaVinci Code – Dan Brown
One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A Prayer for Owen Meaney – John Irving
The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery
Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Lord of the Flies – William Golding
Atonement – Ian McEwan
Life of Pi – Yann Martel
Dune – Frank Herbert
Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
A Tale Of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon
Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
The Secret History – Donna Tartt
The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
On The Road - Jack Kerouak
Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy
Bridget Jones’s Diary – Helen Fielding
Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
Moby Dick – Herman Melville
Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
Dracula – Bram Stoker
The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson
Ulysses – James Joyce
The Inferno – Dante
Swallows and Amazons – Arthur Ransome
Germinal – Emile Zola
Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
Possession – AS Byatt
Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
The Color Purple – Alice Walker
The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
Charlotte’s Web – E.B. White
The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton?
Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
The Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery
The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks
Watership Down – Richard Adams
A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute
The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
Hamlet – William Shakespeare
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
Les Miserables – Victor Hugo

15 comments:

Claire L Hallam said...

Anji, Thanks for posting this, we have both been infected by Dru's list. Your list and mine have only a few overlaps. So "The Little Prince" is it worth reading as an adult?
My recommendations to you? #1 One hundred years of solitude, #2 Dracula (poor Mina). I love Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, but the more recent Thousand autumns..is preferred by my friends.
I too couldn't finish Dune, I really wanted all the characters to die quite early on.
Thanks again for much fun on a cold Friday

A Lady's Life said...

Oh I love and read soo many of these books.Certainly all the ones in dark black.
Sometimes it makes me feel my age lol

Loz said...

I did get this one on Facebook - I've read 28 of them

IWASNTBLOGGEDYESTERDAY said...

good list.pinching this one :)
it's sunday morning and it's pissing down rain, it will give me something to do :)
cheers

Anonymous said...

I have read 13 but I have read all of the Dune books and all of the hobbit books and all of the harry potter books.

Jackie said...

Can't understand what the BBC is talking about. At least 6 of those books were set book in my school over 50 years ago and a few others were in my school library. I am sure modern schools have even better libraries.

I see I still have 18 to read so better pop down to the library sometime :)

Anji said...

Claire: The Littel Prince is worth reading at any age. The author's great uncle used to be mayor of our village.

ALady'sLife: A lot are worth rereading I think.

Loz: I forgot to count mine! 30

I wasn't bloggedYesterday: You're welcome

connie: I've yet to get through the Dune books. Dom has them in her room - in French. R=Think I'll wait for them in English

Jacki: That was my thought too. Yes, I'm inspired to try some of the others.

Andy D said...

I read 19 of these. It's an odd list, because it has lots of classics in it, mixed in with some good current books.

I second the Dracula motion. That was a great book, and is well worth reading into adulthood.

Jan said...

No Mark Twain? No Hemingway?

Please...

Julie said...

Wow, so many wonderful books on this list! I'm stealing it for my blog :)

Simon White said...

Had to steal it too :)

Nice to remember some of the books I've read over time. Now I have to think up some other great classics I have read that didn't make it on there.

Wiggy said...

I fall into their category then! I ahve only read 6 of them books :shock:

MyBeautifulMalcontent said...

Wow, awesome list! 6 out of 100? They've got to be kidding. There is at least 15 titles off that list that are regulars on school English curriculum all over. It's nice to see a mix of classics and some that are more recent.

Anji said...

Andy: Yes, I must try the Dracula.

Jan: A few more loved authors to add to the list.

Julie: You're very welcome.

Simon: There are so many books to read... an re-read.

Wiggy: If you ever wonder what to read, you have a very good list now.

MK: Yes, most of us have seen some of those because of school.

Anji said...

coming back 30 months later; I've read two more on this list and have a copy of another that is waiting to be read