Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Candles and stained glass

As part of our trip into town this morning, Rob and I went to look around Saint-Sauveur church. For about 10 years the church was closed to the public while it was being restored. It was worth it. It certainly does look much better than I remembered it. We always light a candle if we visit a church or cathedral, thinking of our fathers and relatives who are no longer with us. I also think of the living too, there seems to be need among my blogging friends at the moment.

Part of the restoration included the stained glass windows. I love stained glass. They are each opposite a pillar and the sun was shining in through the windows as I turned away from the area where the candles were. The colours and patterns from each window were reflected on the pillars. It was beautiful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I was at my niece's wedding last weekend at East Chiltington village church, a village so small that its lanes have yet to see tarmac and a beautiful church so small it has never been dedicated to a saint. It has a one of the loveliest stained glass windows I know. But then I love every stained glass window I see.
x Graham Thanks for birthday wishes.

sue said...

Sounds wonderful. I love stained glass too. Especially authentic medieval glass which is magical.

Anji said...

Graham: I love stained glass windows too. Our village has St George complete with lovely green dragon. The ladies window at Worcester Cathedral is a favourite of mine too.

Sue: The colours stand the test of time. Imagine how magical they must have seemed to people in those days

A Lady's Life said...

I always wish I could get into doing stained glass projects. Maybe before I die I will. I have no time to die with all the things I want to do lol
Immortality Prevail!!!! lol
I also think and cry for the world.
I am so sentimental especially in church.

Anji said...

A lady's Life: I've always wanted to try stained glass too! We have a friend who makes windows and lamps as a hobby, a very expensive hobby indeed.