Thursday, February 7, 2008

Bob Dylan

A couple of years ago a friend lent us No Direction Home so I spent a New Year’s Eve watching it.

I think I must have been just that little bit too young to have appreciated Dylan in my youth though I remember Lay Lady Lay (1969, Iwas 14 years old) and I still go weak at the knees when I hear him sing “Stay with your man for a while”. Since watching the DVD I’ve started to listen and look and learn about him and his songs, making up for lost time. I enjoy a lot of his songs but my favourites are ‘Forever Young’, which is a kind of blessing. ‘Hurricane’, the story of Rubin Carter a boxer, who was wrongly accused of murder (and he was released – eventually) and ‘Sarah’ which makes me feel like crying. I remember spending days on the beach with my children too – where did they go?

I came across a site once where you could leave a message for Bob Dylan. I wonder if he really does read all of the millions of messages that people all over the world send in. I’m still working on how I’m going to say all that I want to say.

No comments: