Monday, November 7, 2016

A first!

One of the books I’ve read recently was ‘The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman’ by Canadian author Denis Thériault. It’s a lovely story based around the art of writing Haiku. For the first time I really got the idea and now I understand how to write them. My daughter and a blogging friend have explained Haiku to me the past, but…

For about a week, when I’ve visited the town hall nearly every day to take the post to the post office, I’ve been treated to the pleasure of seeing the cherry tree in its autumn colours. How very Japanese to be inspired to write my first Haiku by a cherry tree. So here it is. I’m sure I’ve missed something, but it does have 17 syllables. It contains everything I wanted to say:

The Autumn tree 
Studies its reflection 
In a lake of fallen leaves 

 Now I want to read the book again – as it was written, in French.

 I can’t help wondering if some of the trees look down at the leaves beneath them and mutter “Wasn’t me”

No comments: