Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sleeping with the Enemy

I’ve had the DVD for several years and watched it several times. Starring Julia Roberts the film is about a young woman, Sara/Laura, abused by her husband who fakes her own drowning to start a new life without him. Of course in her new life she falls in love and lives in fear that her husband will find her again somehow…

I went to a charity shop a few weeks ago. They have a foreign books section and I was delighted to find the book written by Nancy Price, that the film was based on. I couldn’t put it down. It had a lot more depth than the film, helping readers to understand why a lot of women stay with abusive partners. There is also interesting detail; the heroine uses the last of her money to rent a modest apartment, she has no belongings because she’s supposed to have drowned. How can she survive until her new job starts?

If you’ve seen the film and enjoyed it, you’ll enjoy the book.

3 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

that was a terrible story. Can you imagine being married to someone like that?
Sends shivers up my spine.

ladyguinevere28 said...

That is an interesting movie Anji, let me check that movie and see it for myself.

Anji said...

A Lady's Life: It was terrible, but it did have a happy ending.

Ladyguinevere: I hope that you enjoy it