Friday, April 22, 2011

Happiness or Joy ?

Happiness appears to be a very popular theme at the moment. Do people feel that they are happy? What is happiness? I’ve always preferred the word Joy. For a start it is the middle name of my little sister. Let’s see….

Happiness:
(Wikipedia says)
“Happiness is a mental state of well-being characterized by positive emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. A variety of biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources.

The science of happiness endeavors to apply the scientific method to answer questions about what "happiness" is, and how we might attain it.”

A science??!

Joy:
(Wikipedia says)
"Joy may refer to:
• Happiness an emotion
• Joy (Given name) people with the given name or surname Joy"

(Cambridge Dictionaries online says that)
"Joy is great happiness."

Dictionary.com says:
"–noun
1.
the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation: She felt the joy of seeing her son's success.
2.
a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated: Her prose style is a pure joy.
3.
the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
4.
a state of happiness or felicity.

–verb (used without object)
5.
to feel joy; be glad; rejoice."

Number 5 is the definition for me. If you had to use another word instead of happiness, which word would you choose?

I hope that your Easter is a joyous one.

8 comments:

Connie T. said...

Sometimes I am happy, sometimes I am not. When I have to do the dishes, I am definately not happy.

Rosemary said...

Joy is far more important!!

sue said...

I agree Anji. Happiness comes and goes. People can think you're quite unhappy when they see you cos you're temporarily unhappy about something. But you can still feel inner joy at the same time in your heart about living. It's deeper.

Anonymous said...

Because there are chemicals released into the body when we are in a state of happiness or bliss, it is physically impossible for humans to experience true happiness all the time. Being it is a state of mand rather than a place or location to reach, we can and do have as much or as little control over our own happiness as we choose. We cannot be happy every moment of every day. Our lives are always changing as well as the ones' around us. We are the only ones' who are in control of our minds. Along with free will, it all makes it a part of life and that is what can make it so great. I really enjoyed the info you produced in your posting. Thank you.

Alex said...

My tea says, "Real Happiness lies in that which never comes nor goes, but simply is."

:)

Anji said...

Connie: I know that feeling!

DB: I agree

Suz: I think people either get it or they don't

Shelley: Glad you enjoyed the post

Alex: Amen to that

A Lady's Life said...

I always want to find things to smile at.
but every time I look at the news and economy it puts me in a bad mood.
Lately I was watching TV and found things to smile about and its uplifting.
What is joy without sadness?
I think in life you get both but wish it to lean a little more towards joy than the other side.

Anji said...

A Lady's life: I agree, how do we know joy if we can't compare it? The secret is to develop a habit of joyfulness!