Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Reading all kinds of books

Peter from Worldman left an interesting comment about reading all kinds of books. A few years ago some people I know were clearing out their book shelves. They had both worked in New York for the United Nations before they retired and had a pile of English books which they passed on to me. There were books of many different styles of writing and I decided that I would make an effort to read them all, even the ones that I thought I wouldn’t enjoy. I loved them all and they opened up even more avenues of reading for me. The only book I didn’t finish was a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I will read it one day.

The second point that Worldman’s comment brought to mind was about re-reading books. As I’ve grown older I’ve revisited many of the books I enjoyed in the past, some of them several times Its been interesting to see how my ideas about the characters has changed as my own experiences have made me hopefully wiser. I recommend this exercise to everyone – I think that you would be surprised!

6 comments:

cube said...

Rereading books is something that I have avoided my whole life with one exception... the Dune series.

When I realized that Frank Herbert had written a second trilogy, I reread the first before starting the second.

My to-read list is so long that I just wouln't even consider rereading a book unless it was one awesome book.

Donna said...

It's SO hard for me to re-read...Anything!lol...except,of course, Pollyanna. I have a first edition, and I love it! Have a happy day!!hughugs

Anji said...

Cube: That was one of my mum's favourites. When I retire I shall read and reread, I just hope my eyesite holds out.

Donna: I haven't read Pollyanna, another to add to my list.

Voegtli said...

Just to follow up on your post, here are the latest acquistions to take with me for my leasure periods:

Serious:

- The Law of Attraction
- Beloved Enemy

The first is a follow up or complement to "The Secret". The second is the story of a Swiss women who was very important for women's rights in my country and the book is the story of the exchange of letters with her husband.

Not serious:

- The Pirate's Manual
- Buccanners

I always have been attracted by pirate movies, particular the ones with Errol Flynn. The first book retractes the pirates actions, behaviours and preparations of buccanners from 1630 to 1730.Would I have lived in those times, I might have become a pirate too.

Anji said...

Peter: I know that Swiss women have had a very difficult struggle, up until quite recently. It sounds like a very interesting read.

I can imagine you with a pirate's hat and a golden earring!

I've just posted the first paert of a story you inspired me to write

voyageoftheeye said...

Hi Anji, A strange week here... Computer hacked and everything had to be wiped so for now contact list is missing!

I just had strange email from the royal ropeworks in la Rochelle just minutes after speaking to an old, in every sense, friend who was asking me if I knew anything about self publishing. Who do I know close by La Rochelle?

And guess what? I only know one person who has done an E publication. My friend Richard has lead a fascinating life, much as a well travelled journalist and design lecturer. His autobiography I cannot imagine being published in bookform in the time he has left with his new blood condition. I would like to try and get him into the E publication since the book is already there on his laptop. Get it before it gets hacked, it is much older than mine!!.

I am at colineheartofgold@gmail.com for a yes / no / here is info. C xx